About

I had a partial molar pregnancy in June of 2009. After recovering over the summer I had a healthy pregnancy with Violette Sophia, born June 2010. Find information about molar pregnancy (in October 2010 posts) and my adventure to and through motherhood here.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Cloth Diaper Reviews 2

Hello my name is Sarah and I'm a diaper-holic.  Not only have I become a cloth diapering advocate, it's become a hobby.  I don't know if it's akin to a girl thing-like collecting lingerie, albeit baby lingerie-but I've been enjoying buying new diaper brands to try out as I've built my stash the past few months.  I've sold diapers that didn't work for us and bought new or gently used diapers that will work, or just to try.  So far I've broken even money-wise when I've used the swap sites, but I admit I bought some with real money.  Now that I'm "stashified" I must woefully admit that it's become a sort of game to try new brands, but I tell myself it's ok because I'm giving it up for Lent.  So let the fun begin!

Sunbaby 2.0
I bought Sunbaby 2.0 from ebay first.  I guess I didn't google well enough to find the main website, but I am still happy with the earlier version of Sunbabys.  The 2.0 are great diapers for itty bittys and skinny babies.  The elastic is a little bit thin so I did notice some read marks on Vy the first time I used them.  I've since adjusted the snap to give her a little more room and I'm able to avoid leaks at the same time.  

Sunbaby 4.0
I really like the Sunbaby 4.0.  The fleece is soft, the PUL on the solid colors is thick so they do not fit as trimly as the prints, but they are still trimmer than other diapers like the Bumgenious 4.0.  The print PUL is nice and soft, I feel like these would make great swim diaper.  The fit is super trim and the added hip snaps make a nice fit.  The inserts are the same with both Sunbaby 2.0 and 4.0, they have several layers of microfiber serged together into an absorbent insert.  I didn't feel like I needed to prep them too many times to get good absorbency.  The best thing about Sunbabys are that they are cheap!  At $60 for a dozen it's a great way to bump up your stash and give your more expensive diapers a good rotation.

Weehugger Snap Cover-I tried Weehuggers before I found my love for fitteds, but I felt overall they had a great fit.  I had some wicking issues when I used a wide insert/prefold, but it was easily remedied by double checking the legs.  I think I'd like the aplix version of these covers better, just because Vy is crawling around like crazy these days and does not like to stop for a diaper change.

Clotheeze Workhorse (fitted)-I had tried Dream Eze fitted diapers but didn't like them, but after reading so many raves about the Clotheeze Workhorse (and at $7.95 a piece), I couldn't resist trying them.  I've long been attracted to quilty fluffy prefolds, despite only owning Gerber prefolds.  I feel like I don't use them enough to buy more, but the Clotheeze Workhorse is a modified prefold so it is the best of both worlds.  SUPER absorbancy, even without being properly prepped (I couldn't wait), they work great with Flip diaper covers and Bummi's Super Whisper Wrap.  They have made me discover my love for fitteds.

Bummi Super Whisper Wrap-I generally shy away from aplix closures fearing that they won't last until potty training.  Although, with no experience to the contrary, I must admit this to be an irrational fear.  I have become a bit of laundry tab nazi, but I excuse myself of bad behavior claiming frugalism and protection of our investment.  Ahem.  Anyway, these covers seem to run a tad large for us, but I like they will have a long life.  Bummis are made from TPU instead of PUL and I'm really digging it's softer features.  I also like that you can dry them in the dryer in a pinch.  I can't wait to try these with aplix closure fitteds (fluffy mail is on its way!).

RockinGreen Detergent-Our laundry sturm und drang is quite impressive: sensitive skin (fragrance allergies), wool allegies, HE front loader machine, and hard water!  Whew!  While our trusty Seventh Gen laundry soap has been doing the job of washing the diapers just fine, I did notice a few issues with Sticky PUL.  When I saw RockinGreen comes in a specialized formula for hard water I decided to give it a try with some cash back points from diapers.com.  It made a HUGE difference.  After one washing all my diapers feel like I stripped them, nice and clean.  I love the scents, my favorites being Lavender Mint Revival and Smashing Watermelons.

Joeybunz Hemp Inserts-What can I say, in the world of diaper absorbancy, hemp is king.  I use my old gDiaper inserts as night doublers and Vy stays nice and dry all night, it's amazing.  Why I ever thought I needed to use sposies at night the first few months of cloth diapering, I'll never know.  These hemp inserts differentiate themselves by being contoured.  The hourglass shape really helps reduce bulk in between the legs.  While I didn't really NEED them because I have the gdiaper inserts, the contour shape helps turn my Fuzzibunz Medium pockets into trim night diapers.

Imse Visme Flannelette Wipe and Green Mountain Diaper Two Sided Wipes-Cloth wipes you ask?  I say YES!  It never really occurred to me to use cloth wipes until I started seeing a lot of buzz around them on the Baby Center Cloth Diapering board.  While trading in some of Vy's old clothes and gear I saw some wipes and decided, why not?  At first I used a store bought wipe solution spray, but Vy didn't have a good reaction to it so I decided to make my own.  I love it!  I like that I can add a light scent. 

My current favorite recipe is:
1 cup brewed Camomile Tea
1 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1 tsp Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser
Mix together and put in a spray bottle or bottle (I use a sitz bottle)

Back to the wipes...I like the flannelette wipes.  They are a little thin but they stay soft after washing and do the job.  The two sided wipes are great for the big messes.  The terry side is great at really getting the diaper area clean and the flat side is getting softer by the wash.  I still have a stash of disposable wipes for outings, but I'm coming to really prefer cloth wipes.  Here's a great site with lots of wipe solution recipes: Zany Zebra 

Wetbags:
Itsy Ritzy Wet Happened Wetbag-this is a CUTE wetbag.  Itsy Ritzy does great patterns.  The waterproof liner is really thick, I hang dry because it looks like it might crack if dried.

Weehuggers Small Hobo Wetbag:  This wetbag has style!  With two compartments (one for clean, one for dirty), this diaper does double duty in your diaper bag, or take it on it's own for quick trips. 

More Reviews to Come: Fuzzibunz sized and one sized fleece/microfiber and fleece/hemp pockets, Baby Chai Lucky Jade bamboo AI2, Bagshot Row Bamboo AI2, Happy Heiny, Blueberry (regular and minky), and Swaddlebees, and alpaca dryer balls

No comments:

Post a Comment